Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Before the Week is Even Over


Last week and this week have been the regular summer school weeks that I always plan for us to have. It is important to me that the kids continue with reading, math, and grammar, because math and grammar are subjects that can have concepts "lost" after a few months of break. We only do two hours of school a day in our summer weeks, and more than an hour of that is reading.

Yesterday I told the kids how absolutely proud I am of them for what they have accomplished in their work this summer. They have been doing some complicated addition of fractions, mixed numbers and uncommon denominators. It's not really something you want to do in the summer. But they have done their math lessons like champs and have mastered all of the skills they have been confronted with so far.


Fred is in the house now, too! We started Life of Fred: Fractions last week. We will do one chapter of the book two days a week.


The kids are also one week away from completing the first level of Fix-It Grammar by IEW, "The Nose Tree". Throughout much of last year Eli really struggled with grammar, with identifying the different parts of speech and diagramming his sentences. He would get very overwhelmed and very upset. But the last two weeks the concepts have just clicked with him, and it has been so great to witness!

Both kids are reading books that they really enjoy. Eli is into the How to Train Your Dragon series and absolutely loves it! Brynne is waiting for her next Warriors book to arrive so she has been reading books again from The Puppy Place series. These books have inspired her to want to have a dog adoption agency someday.

Finally, we are only two days away from finishing the last book in the Little House on the Prairie series, The First Four Years. Man, reading this series and studying the late 1800's pioneering days was such a blessing to us, and we will miss the Ingalls family!! Thankfully, we are only on Season 3 of the television series, so we have a lot more stories to experience.

A real summer break starts for us next week until August 31st, when we start our full-time fall schedule. We will put away all of our worksheets, but keep out our reading books. During our break we are going to go visit some friends and their farm, go to a water park, go on a field trip, visit family, get through all our remaining doctor and dentist appointments, start volleyball practices, go to speech therapy, celebrate Brynne's birthday, swim, go to the Wipeout Run (5K), take some back-to-school photos, and more.

After all this fun, it will be time to hit the books again!!



One last thing ... the winner of the book Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library is my commenter, poetryinleaves. Please e-mail me your address at taulmans@netzero.net. Congrats!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a