Skip to main content

Random Five




1. Whewwwww, the Republican Debate! Fun! Oh, Donald Trump. My goodness ... made me laugh!

2. For the past couple of weeks I have eaten horrible and by Monday of this week my stomach was feeling pretty blech! I found a Citrus Detox drink that looked promising to me and picked up the ingredients mid-week. It includes fresh-squeezed lemon, lime, and orange juice, turmeric powder, and fresh ginger root. I put all these ingredients in my Ninja and gave it a quick blend with some ice. Although a glass of it plain tasted very refreshing, I decided I liked it better with one packet of Stevia in the Raw. It is really delicious! I read up on the anti-inflammatory, antioxident-rich, health boosting and cleansing effects of these ingredients. I plan to drink between one and two glasses of this a day.

3. On the same note, I have done really well this week with my diet (and by that I mean, nutrition). I went back to what I know and that is tracking all of my foods on MyFitnessPal. I made sure I stayed under my calorie, carb, and fat goals and ate healthy protein at every meal. Sure I would love to sit and eat Oreos dunked in milk every day. But, it makes me feel bad and it makes me gain weight. So, instead, I hope to continue to make those healthy food choices to take care of my body.

4. As of today the kids and I are now on the last part of an official summer break, putting away our worksheets and formal lessons until August 31st. (Oh, and we finished the last book in the Little House on the Prairie series yesterday, and I may be grieving just a bit.) We have a lot going on between now and then, and we will be reading everyday because reading rocks. But otherwise we will be staying up late, sleeping in, and doing exactly what we want to do.

5. My baby girl turns 10 years old tomorrow. 10 YEARS OLD! How on earth has so much time gone by so quickly?? She has a very fun weekend ahead ... a family fish fry on Saturday night and then an all-night video game party on Sunday night with Dawson and three of his friends, playing her new Xbox One she is getting for her birthday. (For the record, it is a like-new used one we bought from a friend and she paid for half of it with birthday and Christmas money she still had saved from last year.) She may be a small girl, but her true best buds are some 18 year old precious, kind, and respectful boys who would do anything to protect her, and who share her love of gaming. They'll all be hooked up to their systems and televisions circled around our dining room table with headsets on munching on cheese balls, Pringles, and drinking copious amounts of Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew. She is a lucky and much-loved girl.

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday to your girlie. 10 is a big deal. Sounds like it'll be a life long memory for her, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a