Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



It's hard to believe but next week's Hodgepodge will find us in the month of September. What's one thing you want, need, or hope to do still before summer officially ends?

I honestly can't think of a thing. Summer is my least favorite season of the year so I am completely okay with the activities to end. We have swam enough, vacationed enough, lounged enough, and I have certainly mowed and watered enough. Maybe we will need one last trip to the DQ for ice cream, not for me but the kids would love it, and maybe another trip to the lake.

When were you last at 'your wit's end'?

It would definitely have been the two year child support hoorah with my ex-husband. But perseverance won out and the court definitely took care of the kids so it was all worth it in the end.

Describe a time you were figuratively thrown into 'the deep end'?

To me being thrown in the deep end would entail a period of panic and trying to get to the surface to get to some air as soon as possible. This would have been from a long time ago, when I got out of law school and started actually working in the legal field. I worked for a drunk solo practitioner (I didn't know it when he hired me) and he would send me on a court case without me having any idea what I was doing. Then I went into solo practice out of desperation and talk about panic and constantly searching for air!! I still have nightmares about practicing law, even the years that I worked at a large, reputable law firm and totally knew what I was doing. Man, I hated practicing law.

Does the end always, ever, or never justify the means? Explain.

"If a goal is morally important enough, any method of achieving is acceptable." (wikipedia)
I would have to say never because ANY means any method, whether moral or immoral. Just because the goal is morally important, it doesn't mean you can use immoral ways to achieve it. That doesn't make any sense. It would be like having a morally important goal of causing a rapist to pay for his assault on someone you love, and then walking up to him at the courthouse and shooting him dead as a way to reach that goal.

What makes your hair stand on end?

Snakes. Definitely snakes. Even seeing them behind a glass case at the zoo or on t.v. makes the hair on the back of my neck stick straight out and makes me shiver. I am deathly afraid of them.

I read an article on the website Eat This! Health that listed 11 foods we can eat to help end bad moods. Basically it's a feed your brain so you're less anxious, grouchy and lethargic. The foods are ... mussels, swiss chard, blue potatoes, grass fed beef, dark chocolate, greek yogurt, asparagus, honey, cherry tomatoes, eggs, and coconut. Which of these do you think would most help end your own bad mood? Which do you fear, if forced to eat, would put you into a bad mood?

Well, I ought to be in a really good mood right now (come to think of it, I am) because I have been on this ketogenic diet and eating some of those foods .. swiss chard, dark chocolate, greek yogurt, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, eggs, and coconut. In fact, eggs and coconut are part of a good majority of my meals. The others are hit and miss as side ingredients. Now, if I had to eat mussels it would not be pretty. I do not want to eat anything that is trying to crawl back out as I am trying to swallow it.

What project around your home, office, or life in general feels like there is 'no end in sight'?

Oh, just all the things that come with a turn-of-the-century home ... basement leaking, hot water heater leaking, not a top-of-the-line sewer systems, bathroom needs gutted and renovated, cracked plaster on walls needs repaired, roof needs repaired, garage needs town down. Need I go on?? If it's not one thing it's several others.

Insert your own random thought here.

It's all about the choices.


Comments

  1. Nicole, I don't remember seeing you here before, so it is so good to meet you and the rest of the Travelers. You do seem to have a very interesting and full life with adorable, handsome and smart kids. I hope to see you here again soon. BTW, summer is my least favorite season as well. Fall come to the deep south real soon, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what's a ketogenic diet? Coconut ranks right up there as one of my favorite foods : ) I don't think I knew you were a lawyer in the past. You learn something every week in the Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a