Skip to main content

Random 5 on Friday


Hello again!

As I have random thoughts swirling around in my head this morning, I thought I would gather them together for a post.

1. Something I have learned about myself lately (well, I think I always knew it but now am actually admitting it) is that I like to have a slooooooowwww start to my day. It doesn't matter what time I get up, whether it's early or mid-morning, I like to have a couple of hours before I have to do anything. I especially enjoy a quiet house. During this time I drink my coffee, catch up on computer stuff, and start my new passion ...

2. Crossword puzzles. While I was in Florida my friend Megan had brought along a crossword puzzle book. I picked one up at Walmart and have been doing one crossword puzzle each day. I have gotten better at them and sometimes I don't even have to cheat!! I swear it helps with my early-onset memory loss. No, I have not been diagnosed with that, but I have the craziest memory lapses so I kid myself and my family about it all the time. They are scared about who is going to have to take care of me someday. Ha ha!


3. Yesterday Kyndal and I spent hours, yes hours, picking out the coordinating fabrics for Bennett's crib set. That's a hard thing to do! But, oh, it is going to be so cute! She is going with a cream/tan/brown color scheme with a splash of cactus green. The designs are arrows, feathers, branches, deer heads, geometric shapes. So far we have purchased the drapes (tan with cream branches) and rug (tan, geometric shapes). There is still so much work to be done, but we have a start! Fun, fun!

4. How can the exact same players on a professional baseball team win the World Series one year and then suck it up so bad the next? Those Kansas City Royals are going to be the death of me.

5. But on a positive note, look at this mug and succulent I picked up from the Amish greenhouse a couple of weeks ago. I looked down and saw it and noticed that the mug looked old. When I turned it around? ... it's a 1985 World Series mug! The Royals have only won the World Series two times, in 1985 and 2015. I watched both wins. That mug is probably worth some money! So I paid the $4 they were asking for it (yes, $4!!) and brought it home. It's pretty clear that the Amish do not follow professional sports.




Have a great weekend! We have nothing on our calendar. NOTHING! Yay!

Comments

  1. I completely agree with the first one! Unfortunately, our mornings are always busy and rushed.
    I hope you had a wonderful, relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...