Skip to main content

Curriculum Choices ~ 2014/2015



I cannot even believe we will be starting back to school in three weeks (and beginning our 5th year)! We typically start the Monday after our public schools start, which would be August 18th. However, this year we are starting a week later to allow for a curriculum planning trip, aka a few days at the lake, with our best homeschooling friends from Oklahoma who are coming for a visit. We will be using the same curriculum as them this year and want to plan some events to do together. We have done units together in the past and it's always fun to share in the fun with others.

I previously posted about how we are changing things up this year. And by that I mean we are going back to our old ways. Gradually, without me even realizing it, we became that hard-core homeschooling family who sat at the table and did lots of subjects and lots of book work and moved away from loving learning. We have also had a lot of online curriculum product reviews lately, and we just don't enjoy online programs. Also, instead of making our unit study our primary focus and adapting all of our subjects around it, it became that thing we did at the end of the day which never allowed us enough time or energy to give it our full attention. And by "us" I mean "me".

We are flip flopping our way of doing things this year and getting back to our focus and love of unit studies. Our primary curriculum will be our unit study. It will cover about every subject imaginable. We will then add in additional Bible, math, grammar and writing. Bible and math will be every day. Grammar and writing will likely be twice each per week. I am a grammar nerd and just feel like we need to constantly keep with it. We will start each day with Bible and then move immediately into our unit study. We will dig really deep into it, learning and having fun along the way. Math will be pushed until just after lunch after our brains have had a small break.

Here are our curriculum choices for the 2014/2015 school year:







Comments

  1. Wishing you all a great year! (We're not starting back until 9/2.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a