Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Nothing to Fear


Joining From This Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge. I really enjoy doing this each week. I think it gives you, my readers, more of a glimpse into who I really am.


The best part of waking up is .....

Having some quiet time in the house before everybody else gets up and enjoying a steaming cup of Chamomile tea. I don't mind waking up, I am just one who needs to start their day slow.

Given a choice, which animal interaction would you most like to experience (or for those non-adventurers ... which would you dislike the least?) - Swim with the dolphins at one of the several locations in the Florida Keys, a lion encounter ten minutes from Victoria Falls (Africa), or a day at a remote base camp high in the Big Sur Wilderness via the Ventana Wildlife Society helping track California condors?

I have actually watched Rick, Kyndal and Dawson swim with dolphins in Cozumel. I had no desire to do it so I just watched and took pictures. I am not adventurous enough for lions, or even dolphins, but after driving through Big Sur last week on my birthday, I would love to track California condors with the Ventana Wildlife Society. First, I am obsessed with birds. But beyond that, the Pacific coast at Big Sur is breathtaking!!

What is something you fear about 'old age'? What is something you look forward to?

I have concerns about how well I will be able to get around when I am old since I already have arthritis. But otherwise I have no problems with getting old. In fact, Rick says I can't wait. I am really an old lady trapped in my body. I look forward to quiet days, napping, reading, sitting with my dog, piddling in my yard and gardens ... pretty much my life now, except I'll have no excuse not to do it!

Hot sauce ... are you a fan? If you answered yes, what is something you make/eat that must have hot sauce? On a scale of 1-10, how hot is too hot?

I do like hot sauce, especially on Mexican food, but with my stomach and heartburn issues I have to stay away from it now. In fact, just yesterday I gave Kyndal a large jar of homemade salsa, made by a chef and his wife who are authentic Mexican and Italian, because it would absolutely tear me up. I would regret eating it for days.

It's been said that children learn what they live. What do you think children learn at your house?

I hope that my kids are learning that having little and living simply is the best way to live. It frees up your time, energy and money for investing in the people you love ... just spending time together without the necessity of being entertained and having an activity-filled life .. that a family dinner, movie night or a walk together is what makes life meaningful ... that contentment is to be sought and treasured. And most importantly, they need know that it is okay to be exactly who God created them to be, even if others don't agree with it. We are all unique for a reason.

What's your favorite movie with a number in the title?

Sixteen Candles. I can quote the majority of the movie.

Saturday (August 16th) is National Tell a Joke Day ... share one here.


From one of our favorite SpongeBob episodes. You have to be in our family to "get it".

I realize that is not really a joke, but it is what first came to mind. My favorite joke is kind of dirty, so here is a blog-friendly joke:

A blonde went to the doctor for a stomach ailment. The doctor said, "Ma'am, you are pregnant." The blonde said, "Is it mine?"

Insert your own random thought here.


Source


Comments

  1. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge. Cute joke, and I agree with your Random! In old age I have lots of things to do: read, knit, correspond, can tomatoes. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a