Skip to main content

Random 5 on Friday



1. Kyndal passed both of her cosmetology state board exams! She received an 88% on the Theory and a 91% on the Practical. She is now a legit hair stylist!! I am so proud of her! This is a girl that absolutely hated school. She wasn't interested so she just didn't try to do well. Why? Because from the time she was little she knew that she wanted to be a cosmetologist and, to her, school was a colossal waste of time. It drove me absolutely nuts when she was growing up. But she has proven that once she sets a goal, she will do all it takes to achieve it. Once she started on the path to her career she gave it her all, and one year later her hard work has paid off.


2. Tomorrow we are celebrating Dawson's 18th birthday. How in the world is it that this goofy kid is now an adult? Do you know what he wants to do for his birthday? He wants our family to go to Incredible Pizza. So that's what we are doing. We are all loading up tomorrow afternoon to drive two hours to the nearest Incredible Pizza Company. One of his best friends from Oklahoma is coming to celebrate with us. It should be lots of fun!


3. We have camel crickets in our basement. They are creepy and annoying. Dawson did some research about them this week and learned that if we don't get rid of them that they will attract mice. So we set some makeshift traps and have now caught two of them. Hopefully we will be rid of them all soon. Yuck!


4. Getting a new central furnace is outside the realm of financial possibility right now. Last winter we kept warm(ish) with electric space heaters. We managed, but it was not very much fun. And, the cost of using those heaters was outrageous. Suspecting that we will have another long and miserable winter this year, we have decided to purchase and install a direct vent gas furnace. A window air conditioner in our dining room manages to keep the whole house nice and cool in the summer. So we are hoping that this furnace placed in the same room will keep the house warm enough and be more cost efficient. It is not the prettiest thing in the world, but I'll take function over fashion any day.


5. I am so glad it is the weekend! I have been so tired all week. It just doesn't feel like I can get enough sleep.We have a lot of activity planned for the weekend, but I am looking forward to a quiet night tonight and the opportunity to sleep in tomorrow morning.


Comments

  1. Congrats to Kyndal and Happy Birthday to Dawson! It's getting colder here too, but it's hard work talking my boys into building a fire if they don't feel like it. *sigh* Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

CTC Math {Schoolhouse Review}

We found our groove with math this year. I found a curriculum that both of the kids respond well to and seem to enjoy (as much as one can enjoy math). We have spent the whole year learning the ins and outs of multiplication and were just a few lessons away from being ready to move onto the next year-long level on division. And then an opportunity to review the 12 Month Family Plan from  CTC Math became available. To be honest, I wasn't very enthusiastic. I mean, why mess with the methods that have worked so well? When I was chosen to review the product I didn't go into it with the level of enthusiasm that it deserved. We have been using a dvd/workbook curriculum with great success. The 12 Month Family Plan from CTC Math is a web based curriculum. As we have not had a lot of luck with those types of programs, I went into this review with a negative attitude. And then my socks were knocked off by how great it is. In fact it is so great that we are going to continue to ...

Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt (Schoolhouse Review)

For the past several weeks we have been reviewing Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt and the Old Testament and Ancient Egypt Flashcards  from Veritas Press . As we were entering into our more easy-going summer schedule, and had just concluded a two-year Old Testament Bible course, I was happy to try out this product as it appeared to be something that Eli and Brynne could do together, alone, and would act as a review of the Old Testament presented in a different way. And I was right. Each Veritas Press Self-Paced History program includes 160 lessons teaching about 32 events in history. They are designed for children in grades 2-6, and it is recommended that the student be a minimum of 7 years of age at the time of the first lesson. What We Received We received a full one-year subscription, for one child, to the online Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt program and the accompanying Old Testament and Ancien...

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.