Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



Are the leaves turning color where you live? Have they begun to fall? Will you have to rake when it's all said and done? Is that a chore you love or loathe?

The leaves are just now starting to fall. There have been some amazingly beautiful oak leaves on the front sidewalk. We have large mature trees in our yard so there will definitely be raking to do in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll luck out again this year and come home from church and find my future son-in-law raking and bagging. (To be fair, I did go out and help bag.)

When did you last shake like a leaf?

The only time I can ever recall shaking like a leaf was about five years ago when a medication I was taking gave me a bad reaction. I had cold flashes (as severe as hot flashes) that would rush through my body and make me hug myself to try to get warm. I would bend over and rock back and forth from the cold chill. Obviously I stopped taking that medication immediately!

After 20 seasons with the NY Yankees, Derek Jeter played his last official game Sunday afternoon. Jeter has been described even by his opponents as a 'class act' both on and off the field. The NFL is back in action this month, too, with several players in that sport, also making the headlines. What are your thoughts on athletes as role models? Should a professional athlete be expected to act as a role model or is that going beyond their job description? What responsibility do the organizations they work for when it comes to dealing with off the field behavior?

Whether or not athletes want to be role models, they are. And kids see everything that they do, good or bad, on the field or off. Media loves a good story and they will pounce on any misdeed of a professional player. But professional athletes know this is a consequence of being in the public eye. What if we were talking about another profession, such as health care? If a well-known doctor of a hospital was caught beating his wife or cheating on his wife or driving drunk or getting in a bar fight, would we expect the hospital to fire him or her or to impose other consequences? I don't know. I don't think we expect the hospital to take action. We figure the legal system will do it. So why do professional organizations have the responsibility of imposing sanctions on their players? Is it their responsibility to the public to do it? I don't think so. Just like the hospital, they have to decide if they want someone with a record and bad morals to be on their payroll. And we have to decide if we want that athlete or doctor being someone we trust.

What season is toughest for you in terms of your health? Why?

The stormy seasons are worse for me. I have osteoarthritis and when there are fluctuating pressure changes accompanied by storms, I totally feel it! My back, legs, knees and feet ache terribly to the point that I feel like I have the flu and need to be in bed.

The top six healthy food trends of 2014 according to Eating Well are clean eating, trash fish, cauliflower, kaniwa, fermentation, and community supported food. So how many of the hot, healthy food trends of 2014 have you experienced, encountered, enjoyed? Any you've tried and said ewwww? Any on the list you'd like to try before 2014 ends?

I haven't tried any of the fads nor do I care to. I just believe our bodies need a balance of all nutrients, including healthy fats, natural sugars, fiber, carbs, proteins, and vitamins and minerals. I don't think we were meant to exclude anything but to eat a healthy balance. Fads don't work, and they don't last. I am on board with community supported foods, however, especially since we live in a farming community. However, the costs of those foods often make it impossible for many to support to the level they would like.

In 7 words or less, bid the month of September adieu.

Goodbye, September, a fun month to remember.

What's something on your October calendar that makes you happy just thinking about it?

It's October 1st and it has already happened. Since May my calendar has had the words "Trial 1:00 p.m." on today's date. Today was the conclusion of the child support case between me and my ex-husband that has been going on for a year and a half. It is FINALLY over and we are now just waiting for the judge's order. I was giddy with excitement all evening and feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Somehow I think the rest of the month will be just as gratifying as this is my absolute favorite month of the year.

Insert your own random thought here. 

It is time for pesky flies to die! Come on cold weather!

Comments

  1. My hubs works for a large health care company and I asked him what would happen if someone in his position were caught 'misbehaving'...would they be fired? He said maybe. It would depend, but it wouldn't go unnoticed. I'm glad your trial date has come and gone and that weight is lifted from your shoulders. Enjoy this beautiful season of the year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a