Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge


This one is a day late. But I always love answering all of these questions so your Wednesday Hodgpodge is really on Thursday. I did ponder the majority of these questions yesterday.


Are there hunters in your family? If so, what do they hunt? Which of the following have you tasted - pheasant, rabbit, venison, duck, goose? Which of those would you most like to taste, or be most willing to taste? Vegetarians .. keep calm and Hodgepodge on!

My dad used to go deer hunting for a week on opening season every year. And I kind of remember my brother bow hunting deer when he was a teenager. Other than that we have not been a big hunting family, until Collin. Collin lives and breathes hunting and fishing. He shoots a bow and a gun. He hunts deer and turkey. Kyndal is a hunting widow from early fall until late spring. Then he is at the lake fishing every chance he gets. I have eaten venison and do not care for it. I guess I would like to taste an elegantly prepared duck or goose. Other than that, no thanks!

What high spot have you visited that gave you a wonderful 'bird's eye view' of something below?

Rick and I love high heights with views below! Some memorable ones were the island views from the lighthouse in Bermuda, the tops of the clouds when traveling up to the Haleakala Crater on Maui, and the heights of the Grand Tetons overlooking Lake Jenny.

Do you have any birds in your home? These could be either real live pets or decorative, as in bird prints, knickknacks, fabric or pottery.

I kind of have a bird fetish, but I have tried to limit it to the kitchen and my bedroom. I have a rooster theme in my kitchen so have lots of stuff ... pottery, rug, knobs, lamps, etc. In my bedroom I have a pillow with a bird on it, an iron bird hook where I hang my scarves, and some old Home Interiors bird wall art that I have spray painted.

Tell about a time you 'killed two birds with one stone'.

The only thing I can really think of is that I started babysitting Macie. Not only was I able to help out a friend who had a need, but I was able to start making some extra money to help pay for Kyndal's upcoming wedding.

Your favorite song with a bird in its title.

"Fly Like an Eagle" by Steve Miller Band. I hear this tune very often from the front seat of my Suburban while the kids are watching Space Jam on the dvd player.

What most recently gave you goosebumps?

Even seeing a snake in a magazine or book or t.v. gives me chills up and down my spine and nervous goosebumps. I can't hardly look at them behind cages at the zoo. Creepy crawly!

Halloween is this Friday ... any plans? Did you trick or treat as a child? Carve pumpkins? Share your most memorable costume.

We will do what we do every year. The kids will get all costumed up and we'll collect candy from the merchants in our town on Main Street. We'll stop by our church for hot dogs and hot chocolate and probably do Trunk or Treat at one of the churches. Corn dogs are also 50 cents on Halloween at Sonic so we will have those at some point and some homemade macaroni and cheese with some fun Halloween pasta I picked up at Aldi.

We do not do store bought costumes. I have always made my kids' costumes. This is a challenge since I don't sew. But we make it work with hot glue and hem tape. The kids have been frogs, dogs, ninjas, Kung Fu Panda, Minnie Mouse, cowboys, Super Mario characters, Pokemon characters, ladybugs, and more. This year Eli is going to be Casey Jones from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (a hockey zombie) and Brynne is going to be Katniss from The Hunger Games.

We always went trick-or-treating as a kid. I don't ever remember us carving pumpkins, though. My greatest Halloween memory was going to my Aunt Rhonda's. She would give us a bread bag filled with full sized candy bars. I loved going there! My grandma made me some great costumes when I was little. I was an indian girl, a scarecrow, and my sister and I were Raggedy Ann and Andy (Or at least I think we were. I know she was one of them. I am assuming I was the other.)

Insert your own random thought here.

I am looking forward to Halloween tomorrow! We love Halloween. Brynne has been really sick this whole week and she is a tad better today so I am praying that she is well enough to go tomorrow. We have worked hard on her costume, and it will be a shame if she doesn't get to wear it. Her daddy said he would carry her around if he has to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a