Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



We are on Christmas break so I am sitting on the couch, covered in dogs, with a cup of coffee working on today's Hodgepodge questions. This might be the definition of my perfect morning.

Time Magazine has selected The Ebola Fighters as their person of the year for 2014. Do you agree, and if so who would you say is a close second? If you disagree with their choice, who do you think should have been chosen?

I am glad I do not have the job of choosing this person each year because I do not keep up enough with current events. I really cannot think of anyone else that should have been awarded this title this year. I mean, really, who has fought a more sacrificial fight than the Ebola volunteers? They have risked their lives in unimaginable ways, most certainly in ways that I wouldn't even consider doing. The only other person to specifically add to that list might be the Ebola survivor whose blood they are using to transfuse those in the United States who have contracted the disease. And the dude who figured out that using his blood transfusions might work? He is a pretty important guy, too. Kudos to those folks ... an honor well-deserved!

This question comes to you courtesy of Susan who blogs over at Stew Mama Says.She knows we have a wedding happening any minute now, and she asks, "What's your favorite something old? something new? something borrowed? something blue in your home?" Be sure you hop over to say hi to Susan today!

My favorite something old would have to be the antique clock that was my late grandmother's. I always loved winding that clock at night when we spent the night with her and the loud 'tic-toc-tic-toc' lulled me to sleep many Saturday nights.
My favorite something new? Oh definitely our new direct vent furnace! It has kept us so warm so far this winter and I am so grateful to have it!
My favorite borrowed thing would have to be my entire house. My mom very graciously (and maybe a little self-servingly ... it got us to move the 4 hours back to our hometown) loaned us the entire amount of money to buy our house 2 years ago. Without her loan, moving here would not have been possible.
I am more of a warm-color kind of person, so finding my favorite something blue was a challenge. Ah, but then I just looked down and saw the greenish-blue color of my robe. And it is definitely my favorite thing in this house that is blue.

Fudge -- yay or nay? Your favorite flavor? Do you make it yourself? With nuts or without?

Where was I last year when I ate the most delicious peanut butter fudge? Oh, I know! It was at church on a Wednesday night potluck dinner. It was made by Sue Taylor. It absolutely melted in my mouth. I am not typically a huge fudge eater, but it was to die for!!! I think I had three pieces. I am definitely going to hit her up for her recipe. So peanut butter flavored would have to be what I would prefer. I don't really like chocolate fudge, although I like dark chocolate so maybe I would enjoy that. I don't want nuts in it.

December 17th is Wright Brothers Day, commemorating the first successful flights made by Orville and Wilbur Wright in 1903 in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. How old were you when you made your first flight? Do you like to fly? Have you ever been to Kitty Hawk or other parts of the North Carolina Outer Banks?

I had to ask my mom this one. I was in an airplane for the first time when I was 6 weeks old. My little mama was only 20 years old and flew with me alone back to Virginia where my dad was stationed in the Navy. Can you imagine doing that as a 20 year old? That's Kyndal's age ... and as a brand new mama. Whoa. I honestly don't really like to fly. I like the convenience of it, but I get really, really bored on a plane. I would rather drive to see the scenery and experience new places. I have never been to North Carolina, but that sounds like it would be a neat place to visit.

Do the people in your family tend to follow a particular career path, and if so what's the path?

For a while it looked like it might be so. My grandfather had a plumbing construction company that my dad took over when he retired. My brother was being groomed early on to take it over when my dad retired, but he decided it was not for him and gave it up. If Dawson was in line to do it, I think he would have. But my dad has had an eager and dedicated young man working for him for the past several years and the company should rightfully be sold to him when the time is right. Dawson wishes we would have lived here when he was younger so he could have gotten into the business at a younger age to keep it in the family. He thinks he would have liked to take it over. But God has a plan for Dawson and if it didn't include taking over the business then we are completely okay with that. Excuse my language but my dad has always said that it is a shitty job, but somebody has to do it. Hee Hee!!

What is the one thing you absolutely, positively must accomplish today?

I really must vacuum, mop and dust, and finish laundry! Dirty dirty house.

This Christmas I hope .....

to just relax and enjoy my family, and eats lots of good food.

Insert your own random thought here.

I know that this is going to be the most peaceful and enjoyable Christmas ever. I have been reading back over my blog posts from past Christmases and, man, was I keyed up! There were years that I was trying to find the perfect balance, and provide the perfect day for my family. There were years that I was lonely and trying to find ways to fill my loneliness of being away from extended family. There was the year that I made efforts to make it a simple Christmas and realized that it was a lot of work to make it that way. There were years that I was just plain angry and fed up. Last year was a really nice Christmas without much stress. But this year I think we've finally just got it all figured out. We have completely simplified our decorations. Instead of filling every single night and weekend between now and Christmas with activity, we are slowed down and just enjoying the peace and quiet. The activities we have done have been ones that we want to be traditions for years to come. We have no real plans for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day except to just spend time with family. I am normally a huge Scrooge, but this year I am so, so excited for Christmas! It's going to be a great season!

Comments

  1. I get the cleaning part! We have to vacuum at least twice a week especially we have two pets in the house.
    I am a fan of homeschooling.. my aunt does it for families around the bay area. It's much easier on some kids that struggle in the public schools. :) Hope you have a Merry Christmas! -Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a