Skip to main content

5 Day of Literature Unit Studies ~ Field Trips




The piece of literature ... The themes ... The corresponding books ... The activities ...

We almost have everything we need for a great unit study. But something is missing. In fact, it's that "something" that oftentimes starts me down the path for a particular unit study in the first place.

It's time for the field trip.

I mentioned in the first post of this series to always be on the lookout for inspiration. Be watching library billboards, community newspapers, blog posts, etc., for something that might spark a particular interest in your kids (or in you .... sometimes just your enthusiasm is all your child needs to get enthusiastic, as well.)

The Secret Garden unit study all started with me seeing a notice on our community blog for auditions for the upcoming community theatre production of the book. The actual play was to take place several months later, so it gave me time to plan the unit, read the book, and do all activities before the production.

I organized a field trip for our Co-op to a fully sustainable nursery in Tulsa, called Grogg's Green Barn. While there, the owner gave us a tour, showed us how they water their plants, talked about composting and "good" bugs, and then let the kids each make a "green" Easter basket.

To conclude our study, my friend (who was doing the study with her girls) and I took our three girls to have lunch at a local tea house. While there I purchased Brynne her very own tea pot, tea cup, saucer, and the loose leaf tea of her choice.

Then we took the girls to see the play. (We had previously watched the movie, so Brynne was really excited to see the story live.) It was a wonderful conclusion to our unit.

For Charlotte's Web, a trip to a farm is a perfect field trip. We have a wonderful farm in a nearby town that is owned by a Christian family. They do tons of educational classes, teach weaving, knitting, have a pumpkin patch, and a Nativity scene. It's beautiful! They allow children to come in and see their barn. It is exactly what I would imagine Fern's uncle's farm looked like in the book.

For Ice Age 4, we will be going on a field trip to the Tulsa Geoscience Center for geological lessons on earthquakes and plate tectonics. We have been there before for a unit on fossils. It holds a wealth of information and the volunteers are always willing to provide us with some great lessons.

Sometimes we just go to the movies to conclude a unit, like we did with The Lorax to conclude our unit on the book and Earth Day.

I hope you have enjoyed this series, have found it helpful, and have been inspired to plan your own units. Using this system has enriched our homeschool experience in ways I can hardly describe. We have learned SO MUCH, it is incredible! I absolutely cannot wait to see what is in store for us this next school year, and even this summer if something pops up.

If you have not commented on each of the posts in this series, you still have time to do that. Each comment will provide you with an entry into my giveaway for my copy of the Classic Starts version of The Secret Garden, which includes the book on cd. I will also mail you my (very well used) copies of the resources I used for our unit study. I will accept comments up until Monday morning when I will draw a name (the old fashioned way) for the winner.

Here are all of the other posts from the unit:

Day 1 ~ Choosing a Piece of Literature
Day 2 ~ Choosing the Themes to Study
Day 3 ~ Choosing Corresponding Books from the Library
Day 4 ~ Choosing Corrsponding Activities

And you really should take some time this weekend to visit some of the other 65 bloggers from The Homeschool Crew who had their own 5 Days series.

Photobucket  

Thanks for joining us!

Comments

  1. This has really been such a good series, Nicole! I've enjoyed reading every post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love a good field trip around here!!!! It's often the highlight of the unit.

    Nicole, I really enjoyed this series - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a