Skip to main content

O is for "Observation"



I've noticed something lately. The kids and I are stopping several times a day to Observe things around us.

 I look out the window and see Brynne observing a squirrel in the garden.



Another day I see Eli sitting on the back porch observing the rain.



We recently observed baby birds growing up and leaving the nest.



And then immediately observed another mama "borrowing" some coco liner to build a new nest and start the process over.




Spending time to observe butterflies this year has been a real treat. There have been thousands, and so many varieties!



Even fallen tree branches have given us something interesting to observe ...



When days are full of activity, I find that we have less and less time to just stop and look around us. Taking some time to just rest at home has certainly opened up the time to observe. And stresses seem to decrease at the same rate we take the time to observe God's beautiful creation.


Tonight we will be observing something spectacular ... the Transit of Venus. You have time to get prepared to view it, too! Go to my post about our activities. You could view it this evening and do the activities tomorrow.

Take some time today and see what you can observe around you. And then join Marcy at Ben and Me for her Blogging Through the Alphabet linky.


Comments

  1. Some of our best homeschool moments have been just observing what is around us! My dd loves anything having to do with nature, so we have a lot of spontaneous learning based on what she finds!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a