Skip to main content

Homeschool Mother's Journal ~ Summer Week 6


Have we just completed the 6th week of summer? That means we have less three weeks until we start our next school year and, um, I'm not ready ... not even close.

In my life this week ... We got back from vacation on Sunday night, and Brynne woke up first thing Monday morning with strep and a staph infection. After a trip to Urgent Care, a long nap, and some good antibiotics, she was back to her normal self on Tuesday. Dawson worked Tuesday and made $140 in 8 hours at his job at the car wash! It was 105* that day, so it was hard work! We logged a school day on Wednesday, and then had Keeper's Club and piano lessons yesterday. I have also been getting us unpacked and repacked so we can take off to Kansas City when we get the call from my sister that she is in labor. We have to be ready!

In our homeschool this week ... We did lots of reading on Tuesday. On Wednesday we learned about foods, food life, kitchens, family traditions, and restaurants of past versus present with a trip to the  Smithsonian Exhibit of Key Ingredients.


Yesterday, Brynne had Keeper's Club where they learned about flowers (annuals and perennials), and then Brynne had piano lessons.


And today we went and had some splash pad fun with some of our friends from Co-op.


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share ... When you have a fun day where learning is taking place, COUNT IT AS A SCHOOL DAY! We will be doing that on the 4th of July. Stay tuned for our plans.

I am inspired by ... the ways of the past, especially a slower pace with more freedom in living.

Places we're going and people we're seeing ... hopefully to Missouri to see a new niece and to my parents' lake house for some fun! (As of now, that will be put off until next weekend, unless God decides my niece should come this weekend.)



My favorite thing this week was ... seeing Eli enjoy some books we were reading on kitchens and children of pioneer days. I see such growth in him in the area of reading. It was fun to discuss the books and pictures with both the kids after our day of learning about it at the Key Ingredients exhibit.

What's working/not working for us ... The heat! It makes us unmotivated, but we are trying to push through.

Questions/thoughts I have ... Is anybody else freaking out that school will be starting soon and they're not near ready??? I have to be ready in two weeks, because I am actually going to be out of state for the several days right before the first day of school. PANIC!

Things I'm working on ... my thoughts on how to incorporate nature, art, p.e., and music into our regular curriculum and make them more of a priority. If we can get into a p.e. program we have heard good things about, I will have my plan in place and a post to reveal it next week.

I'm reading ... Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnarvon, Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach. (Still reading all of these. Want/need to read more!)

I'm cooking ... some yummies from my garden ... FINALLY! We had roasted garlic potatoes with zucchini and onion last night with our bbq pork ribs. Yummy! And my jalapenos were so hot Rick had to stop eating them!

I'm grateful for ... our public library system which allows me to easily plan a school day with their website.

I'm praying for ... my sister who will be delivering her baby soon.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share ...

This dude was needing some serious free play time at home yesterday. He stayed in his pj's all day and played "Ghost Hunter". He is always making up games. He scared the flour out of me when I opened the door to the pantry and he was in there in the dark with his flashlight!




I am also linking up at Weekly Wrap-up with Kris at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.




Comments

  1. I love the "serious free play time". You are such a great mom.

    I am glad you're having a good summer (despite this terrible heat!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest use to love that show ghost hunter and the other show ghost advebtures. They are good shows.

    Good luck to your sister.

    Stay safe and cool for the 4th

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're always so busy! LOL

    Poor Brynne! Is she feeling better?

    We're starting school the Tuesday after Labor Day or 9/10 if my oldest is accepted into a new charter school for 9th grade (even though he's technically 8th). So, I have a little time to decide on new stuff, but because we won't know if my oldest is accepted until 8/1, I'm not ordering the rest of our curriculum until then (to save of a lot of shipping costs by placing one big order). I'm not going to have a lot of time to plan so I'm sure I'll be a little "stressed" come the end of August (but the 2 older kids will be going to their grandparents for 1-2 weeks so that might make planning easier). I'm hoping to get OTHER things done before then though...like our new work BINDER system (inspired by Workboxes) and what I have that needs printing printed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot imagine 100 degree temps all summer. I would never want to go outside. Usually we don't see those types of temps until August, and I don't think we have been over 100 in years, at least up here in the GA mountains.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a