Skip to main content

Summer Reading ~ A Time for Mom


The Schoolhouse Review Crew is weighing in on the topics of Books and Reading this week on the Cruise site. The post goes live tomorrow, so go see the wide variety of posts on these topics.


I don't know about you, but during the official school year the majority of my reading involves read-a-louds to my kids. I desperately try to fit in my own personal reading time. But, after planning, teaching, grading, and record-keeping all day long, it seems to get moved to the back burner until we have breaks from school. That's why summer is the perfect time for this mom to get caught up on some reading!

Yes, my kids are enrolled in the Summer Reading Program at our local library. Eli will mostly want to read non-fiction books (especially ones related to weather) and Brynne will read just about anything that catches her fancy. The challenge is for me to lure them away from the computer, Wii, television, and regular play time to slow down and read. It's also a time for me to challenge them a bit. I want Eli to start to get over his fear of chapter books, so I will try to get him started on a Geronimo Stilton book soon to get ready for our first unit for school on the Olympics. My plan is to let him listen to one chapter, then read the next, and so on. And I will just have Brynne continue reading her Puppy Place chapter books, trying to increase her speed.

But what I will really be doing a lot of is reading MYSELF! I have a list of books I am wanting to read.

  • The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth
  • Quiet: the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking by Susan Cain
  • One Day by David Nicholls
  • The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass
  • Kindred Spirits by Sarah Strohmeyer
  • Life of Pi: a novel by Yann Martel
  • The Devil in the White City by Erik Lars
  • The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
  • We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver
  • Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
Several of these have been made into movies recently or are going to be made into movies soon. Books are always better than the movies, but when a movie is made from it I have found that the book has usually been excellent. So a few times a year I do a search on Amazon for books being made into movies, and that's where I get my list. Then I read those books and DON'T see the movies.

Currently I am reading Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. And, I am doing an informal book club/study if you would like to join me.


I am also reading Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnavon. After watching the first season of Downton Abbey, I am hooked on that era. This book is written by the current Countess of Highclere Castle.


Moms .. do you find yourself reading more in the summer? What books are on your shelf?

Comments

  1. Nicole,

    That is an interesting way to pick books (I say that in a good way - not being sarcastic). It's silly, but it didn't occur to me that The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (which I have in my Netflix queue) was a book!

    I've read Quiet, The Sugar Queen, and Sarah's Key and enjoyed them all. Divergent is not my cup of tea, but my son really liked it. The Widowers Tale and the Devil in the White City are on my TBR list.

    Here are a few on my list:
    Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure by Patricia Ellis Herr
    The Kids from Nowhere by George Guthridge
    Birdseye by Mark Kurlansky
    Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney
    The Foremost Good Fortune by Susan Conley

    The list is much longer than that and will probably go longer after tonight when I have my Not a Book Club meeting. A bunch of us get together every couple of months to tell everyone about books they have recently read - ones they would recommend and ones they would not. It's quite fun to see what everyone has been reading.

    I'll be interested to hear what you thought about the books on your list.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started Divergent! Sarah's Key is on my list too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a