Skip to main content

R is for "Recycling"



I don't know why we started Recycling, except that it was Brynne's idea. She was really excited about it, so I bought three rope-handled tubs to put in our garage for paper, plastic, and aluminum cans.


Our method is to put anything recyclable on our counter by the stove, and then a few times a day we take it out and put it in it's proper tub. Once the tubs are full (or overflowing, as is usually the case), we load them up in the back of the Suburban and take them to our Recycling Center in town. It's near the library, so we usually combine it with one of our many weekly library trips.


There, we distribute the items in their proper places.


It astounds me how much we recycle! This photo shows how much recycling we had in about a two-week time. (The aluminum cans had been being collected in Dawson's Nerd Cave for a few months. He recycles there, too. We don't have this many cans in a couple week period.)


The kids are able to help with distributing the recyclable materials once at the Center. They especially love dropping the cans down the chute.


Before we started recycling, our trash dumpster would be completely full every week. In fact, many weeks I would sneak up an extra bag or two for the trashmen to pick up. But, now we vary rarely have more than two bags of trash per week. And the one or two bags we have are usually not even completely full.

Sometimes I look at our recycling and imagine that amount times every house in our subdivision, then times every house in our city, then times every house in our state, and so on. What a difference we would make in our world if EACH family took the (very little) time to recycle. Really, what a difference.

We could do even more, I am sure. But I am happy with what we are doing. And the kids are very conscious of making sure all items go to recycling that need to. It has also made me more conscious about what I purchase, trying to make sure the packaging would be recyclable.


We are linking up at Blogging Through the Alphabet with Ben and Me.


Comments

  1. every body laughs at me because I was green before it was the in thing to do. I recycle, only use non toxic eco friendly cleaning products, by sustainable and eco friendly products, and organic. It's a lot easier now then ever 5 years ago, or 10 years ago.

    We recycle and we reuse a lot for crafts and stuff, cut and turn the cardboard boxes into canvases, you'd never had to buy art paper or heavy card stock again :) just make your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recyclers here too. We fill a recycling bin a week (there's pickup in our area once a week), and we're down to one garbage bag now, most weeks. I think buying food in bulk helps a lot, because we mostly have big recyclable containers now instead of lots of plastic bags and containers.

    A craft tip: my friend Val told me that you can use the thick plastic from to-go salads etc. to make Shrinky Dinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it if we can recycle old stuff into something new. Having a man who can do practical stuff is such a god/ goddess send. I can't wait to start using the compost in the greenhouse and veggie beds next year. Thanks WWICS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a