Skip to main content

The Homeschool Mother's Journal ~ Week 2


In my life this week ... Well, I would love to say that this week was better than last, but that would be a lie. My ex-husband filed a Motion to Modify our Divorce Decree from 12 years ago regarding issues with our two kids. It has been an emotional week, and I have decided to give him whatever he wants if it means he and I will not have to have any further contact. I did it because my children asked me to do whatever it took just to make the situation go away. I am losing big in many ways, but winning big in another. So, it's worth it in the long run. Along with that, Kyndal and I went down a long road of finding her a car now that the settlement from her car accident two years ago is concluded. After days of running around, getting documents and checks and inspections and such, she is now the proud owner of her dream car. Dawson went to Missouri to work with my dad for the next couple of weeks. Kyndal went back to her grandparents' where she has now decided to move. And the little kids and I are at home trying to chill. I have been depressed, angry, frustrated, sad, and more this week. But my decision to give up all my rights has somehow eased my pain, and I am ready to move on with my future.

In our homeschool this week ... We are DEFINITELY unschooling this week! In fact, Eli and Brynne have barely gotten out of their pj's, except to shower and put on a clean pair a couple of times. (We did go to the mall last night to see the "geniuses" about my Mac, coming away realizing it would just be cheaper to buy a new one.) We have every intention of doing some delight-directed learning and lots of reading soon, but not this week. No sir.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share ... Instead of buying a binding machine for unit study materials this year, I am going to do the following: I will buy Eli and Brynne each a large binder with a clear cover and include a title page that says, "Unit Studies - Eli/Brynne - 2012/2013". I will have a manila folder cover/divider for each unit with the worksheets and such behind it. Then at the end of the year I will have ONE binder for each child with all of their unit studies included. Brynne always loves to get out her notebooks of unit studies to look at, but they are everywhere. This will keep them in one place.

I am inspired by ... books. Books, books, books.

Places we're going and people we're seeing ... Nowhere and nobody, at least not for a few more days. I think we might try to start coming back to life on Monday. It's supposed to be a hot day that day, so I think we'll make our first trip to the water park. We'll also go to the library to sign up for the summer reading program. The early summer mad rush should be over by now (I hope!). Then on Tuesday our Homeschool Co-op is getting together at a nearby park/splash pad. And that afternoon they have their Boys Club and Girls Club. By Wednesday we'll be ready for a day at home!

My favorite thing this week was ... spending Tuesday afternoon with our Co-op small group friends, and then enjoying dinner and fellowship with one of those families that evening.

What's working/not working for us ... Although vegging all week, when possible, was very necessary for us, it's not something I can do for long. I am ready to engross myself back into my kids and do some fun learning.

Questions/thoughts I have ... I need to come up with a better system for receiving completed work and then getting them graded and in the gradebook.

Things I'm working on ... Organizing drawers and closets, upcoming birthday parties, vacations, helping my sister prepare for her baby (who looks like she might be coming earlier than expected.)

I'm reading ... Almost Amish by Nancy Sleeth and Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv.

I'm cooking ... I just have not been cooking regularly. This weekend I am planning two weeks' worth of meals, shopping for them, and sticking to them.

I'm grateful for ... My husband. Quite honestly, I just could not survive without him. This has been one of the most difficult weeks of my life, and he has held me while I cried (sobbed, actually), picked up the slack with the kids, put up with situations that he doesn't have to, given me invaluable words of wisdom, lifted me up with kind words, and made me feel loved and appreciated and honored.

I'm praying for ... the healing of my own heart. Sometimes I think it's okay to pray for yourself. And after a conversation with my sister yesterday, I am praying for little Ashtyn Rae to hang tight for at least a couple more weeks. She seems to be about ready to make her appearance, and it's a little too soon for that.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share ... "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." ~ Maya Angelou



I am linking up this week to Weekly Wrap-up at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers, although I didn't have one educational thing occur this week.


Comments

  1. I'm so sorry that you're having such a rough time. Praying for you to be comforted by the one who loves you most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stopping by from WUHS. Sorry to hear about your rough week. :(

    I like your unit study idea using notebooks. We used to keep everything from all year in one big notebook. Now I use a hanging file system to keep everything from all year. Because we started to have too much stuff for binders! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying alongside you friend; indeed it is ok to pray for ourselves, it is the way Christ becomes real. After all, if we never talked about ourselves to Him, that would leave a significant part out of the relationship, eh? and tonight I will be oh.so.grateful that I do not have any issues that may come out of the woodwork (our oldest was by way of a different marriage).
    Blessings, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for you having to go through such a rough time! I think a week of recovery was in order. I am going to try and get a copy of "Last Child..." to join in your conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry about your situatin with your Ex- I am praying for you. God has a plan! My oldest is from my first marriage and thankfully my ex has been MIA so I don't have to deal with him. It has allowed my husband to fully be Dad to my oldest, and he really is the only father he knows.

    It's definitely okay to pray for yourself and your situation. Praise God for you supportive husband!

    I hope your next week goes better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about all of the troubles. I sincerely hope that things are resolved quickly and in the best way possible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Nicole, what an awful thing to have to go through! I often think, when I see what stunts my friends' exes pull, that I'm very lucky my first husband just went his own way and we haven't seen him since K was 2. Hoping for some comfort and healing for you, and that the Ashtyn Rae comes at the right time for her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a