Skip to main content

Keepers Club

Last week we hosted our first Keepers Club meeting. This club involves 9 girls, all between the ages of 5 and 10, who are in our Homeschool Co-op. This is our way of keeping in touch with a small group of friends (both moms and girls) through the summer and sharing in some fun activities, playtime and snacks.

We will have six meetings this summer, taking turns going to each other's house. Whoever hosts the meeting is in charge of the "lesson" from the Keepers at Home book we are using, the activity, and the snacks. Really, the girls just want to have a chance to play, and the moms want to have a time to chat. But doing a lesson from the book, and working on the requirements for a pin (kind of like Girl Scouts), adds a little something extra to our time together.


Brynne and I hosted the first meeting and the lesson we decided to present was "Letters" which falls under the "Personal Skills" category.

We learned about how to properly address an envelope, the importance of a return address, and the parts of a letter.

To earn their pin, the girls will have to do the following:
  • Demonstrate the proper format for letters, including date, salutation, closing, and signature.
  • Demonstrate how to address an envelope properly.
  • Explain why a return address is important.
  • Write notes of appreciation to three adults.
  • Write eight letters.
I will order the pins for this activity and will present the pins to the girls at the next meeting in a "pinning ceremony".


Our craft/activity was making notecards to use for the notes of appreciation.




We cut out rectangles from grocery sacks and glued in a piece of lined paper. Then the girls cut out cupcakes from wrapping paper and glued them to the front of the notecard. It was an easy and fast craft that will help them in completing their pin requirements.


Here is the most important part of their time together .... Friendship.


Comments

  1. I have heard so many good things about Keepers at Home. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I started a Little Keeper club for my girls and some of their friends recently. I LOVE your ideas! We are planning our first pinning ceremony and I noticed you mentioned it in your post. I have never done this before! Did you write a post about the pinning ceremony or is there some information somewhere that you used to help plan for the ceremony? Thank you so much for your time. Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a