Skip to main content

Tuesday Coffee Chat





What's on your Summer Fun List?

Our summers don't get too wild and crazy. We spend the first part of it consumed with Brynne's softball games and the last half of it soaking in doing as much of nothing as possible because school is on the horizon.

Thankfully God saw fit to give me two little kiddos who like to stay home. They don't really care if we do much of anything except hit the pool once or twice a week. They like to sleep in, lounge around in their pjs, play with their electronics, and venture off to their rooms to play with their toys. Every once in a blue moon they ask to have a friend over, but not very often. So during the week we don't do a whole lot.

We usually go on some sort of family vacation around the summer months. Last year we went to California for 10 days at the end of the summer. This summer's vacation took us on a cruise at the end of May because Kyndal and Collin were getting married on the beach in Cozumel. We had a great time, but the kids say that they are glad to just be home.

We have no big plans the rest of the summer except to go spend four days at my parents' lake house with our best friends from Oklahoma. We will also likely go to the lake a couple of other Saturdays.

My brother, sister-in-law and niece are coming in from Portland, Oregon, next week for about a week. Collin's 21st birthday is on July 4th, and we always spend that morning at our historic park playing fun old-fashioned games and then going to the lake. We are having Kyndal and Collin's wedding reception on July 11th. I am running a 5K with a friend on July 18th, and Collin and I are running the Wipeout 5K at the end of August. Brynne and I will have birthdays in August, and we always try to do something fun as a family around each kids' birthday. This year Brynne wants to go to Schlitterbahn water park so we will probably do that.

And that's our summer.

Comments

  1. My birthday is on July 4th also! However, let's just say ... it won't be my 21st. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to go to Schlitterbahn every summer, but the kids are basically grown now, so no more traditional family outings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh some days I wish that my kids were more content to stay at home! I mean, yes - they would stay home if I let them watch TV or play xbox the entire day long. but that just delays all that bundled up energy -- it will eventually explode in some manner. But I love that they are adventurous too. although it is tiring!
    It sounds like you will busy enough without adding anything to the list! The lake house sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm lucky my kids are like yours and are perfectly content to stay home and relax, with the tween playing on her electronics and the 7yr old drawing, coloring, and playing with his cars. :) I appreciate that, since anything we DO do for the summer is more work for me to get all organized and prepped for. But I love camping, so those plans will be worth the extra effort. ;)

    For not having too much planned this summer, you still have a lot going on! :)

    Have a great weekend - and Happy 4th! :)

    Blah Blah Blah Shopping and Summertime Fun – Chatting with Coffee in an RTT Rebel kinda way

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a