Skip to main content

Flags of our Fathers

Dawson and I completed our study of American History by studying the 1920's. This next year we will be studying Current Events and U.S. Government. And then for his junior year we plan to study American History in the major wars: World War I, World War II, Persian Gulf War.

Last night Rick and I watched the movie Flags of our Fathers directed by Clint Eastwood.


It is the story of the photograph taken of the raising of the American Flag at Iwo Jima.


Do you know the story? Do you know that the photograph was taken of six men putting up a replacement flag because a politician wanted the original flag for his personal collection? The photograph was not even of the men who placed the original flag. And, one of the men stated to be in the photograph wasn't even in the photograph. It was a big, fat mess, and a travesty to the men who fought in that incredibly bloody and devastating battle, and their families. What an incredible story that we all need to be told. The movie is based on the book written by one of the men's sons. It's a great movie and I highly recommend that you add it to your lessons of World War II.

It also brings home the true meaning of Memorial Day. It's not about boat riding, barbecuing and drinking copious amounts of beer. It's about the men and women and their families who have fought for our freedom, lost their lives doing it, and their families who have been left behind.


Thank you to all of you from our past, present, and those who will make the sacrifice in the future.

If you want to watch Flag of our Fathers this weekend, there is still time! It will be playing Monday night at 7:00 p.m. Central Time on American Movie Classics (AMCHD). That is Channel 254 on DirectTV.

I did not see it on Netflix, but our local library has it for check-out.

Comments

  1. I will definitely put that on our list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in the military. My dad and grandpas were in different branches and wars. Memorial day has never been party day for me and my girls have known the true meaning of this day since they were itty bitty :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...