Skip to main content

What a Day!

Yesterday we had planned to finish some things up for school. But then Dawson got a call about an application for a job that he had put in a couple of months ago. We went to do a face-to-face interview, and before we left Dawson was scheduled to come back to work that afternoon. He will be working at a local car wash. It's a great job for boys, super hard work with great pay. He was there about 2 1/2 hours today and ended up making about $10 an hour with tips. His boss told him that it's not unheard of to earn $100 in tips a day.


Before he went in to work (weird to say that!), he had to go take the required reading proficiency exam for the driver's test. Since he's homeschooled, he didn't take it in 8th grade as public school students do. The test is supposed to take about 1 1/2 hours. It took him 28 minutes. And the report said, "You are eligible to enroll in any college-level course requiring college-level reading." Well ... I think he's doing okay as a homeschooled student. What do you think?

To top it off, we went to lunch with Rick and I bought him a new Xbox 360 game he has been wanting.

He's pretty happy right about now. Great day for a great kid!

Comments

  1. Congrats all around to Dawson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always great to get a bit of "assurance" that our homeschooled kids are doing great - even if we already know that to be the case. Congrat's to Dawson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this his first job? How exciting! My oldest is anxious to get a job to earn some spending money, but at 13 he has another couple of years I think. He does babysit here and there (and is a Red Cross Certified Babysitter). I'd say it was a GREAT day for him!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...